Are you looking for treadmills that can stand the test of time? Maybe you’re outfitting a fitness room for a membership gym, a hotel or a university. Or perhaps you’re treating yourself to an in-home gym and want the same high quality cardio equipment that’s showcased at health clubs. Either way, you’ve come to the right place! Our experts review the top commercial treadmills on the market and help you identify the best treadmills for your needs.
How Commercial Treadmills Stand Out
Commercial treadmills carry commercial warranties and are built to please in high-demand settings such as health clubs, hotel fitness rooms and physical therapy clinics. They’re also the cardio trainers of choice for luxury home gyms. Advantages of commercial treadmills over residential treadmills include lower maintenance designs, premium components and consistently trouble-free electronics. These treadmills also tend to carry very long parts warranties if reserved for home use. Their only possible drawbacks are frame size and price, although you’ll find wide ranges in both cases.
Shopping the Smart Way
Careful shoppers check out treadmill reviews and get background into to understand the key points. To help you out, commercial treadmill reviews on our website focus on specific models from Precor, Landice, Life Fitness and other leading commercial brands. Plus, below we present general info as a guide to buying a commercial treadmill. Learn what you can expect of a commercial treadmill’s motor, track, workout programs and other specs. We cover the qualities mentioned in most commercial treadmill reviews and ads.
Commercial Treadmill Category Guides
Lots of treadmills compete for commercial buyers’ attention. To save time shopping you can narrow your search to equipment for a specific type of setting. For example, there’s no need to scroll through info about medical treadmills if you’re stocking a college rec center. Here are links to planning guides for specific types of commercial gyms. Each guide has tips about what to look for in setting-specific treadmills as well as other cardio trainers and strength training equipment.
- Community Centers (YMCAs, JCCs, etc.)
- Colleges and Universities
- Government (Military and others with GSA Contracts)
- Fire Departments & Law Enforcement
- Health Care (Hospitals, Physical Therapy Clinics, etc.)
- Health Clubs
- Hospitality (Hotels, Resorts and Spas)
- Multi-Family Housing (Apartments, Condos, etc.)
Commercial Treadmill Buying Guide
- Price: The approximate price range for commercial treadmills is $3,500 to $10,000. Unlike residential treadmills, commercial treadmills aren’t always advertised with their prices… And if a price is shown, it isn’t necessarily the manufacturer’s best possible offer. Most likely you can negotiate.
- Durability: Commercial treadmills are heavy duty and are generally expected to be used in excess of 5 hours per day, 7 days a week. Typically one can support at least a 400-pound trainee. Some factors contributing to durability include a welded steel frame, powerful motor and thick tread track and definitely a quieter motor. In contrast, a residential treadmill might have plastic frame elements, a weaker motor and a one-ply tread track.
- Spacious Track: A commercial treadmill has a long track to ensure that even the tallest trainees can safely take running strides. Sixty inches is a typical length and most commercial treadmill tracks measure between 58″ and 62″ long. The standard track width is 20″. Extra-wide treadmill tracks measure 22″.
- Power Incline: Many treadmills have automated incline (or incline/decline) for the track. The typical maximum incline is 10% to 15%.
- High Quality Motor: Commercial treadmill motors operate quietly and are skip-free. Power ratings are typically 4.0 CHP to 5.0 CHP. For comparison, residential treadmills this model year range from about 2.25 to 4.0 CHP.
- Workout Programming: Workout programming on commercial treadmills ranges from limited (six to 10 programs at the low end) to unlimited (available with subscription services). Most can be accessed in multiple languages; Precor treadmill programs show feedback in ten international languages. Landice stands out for offering four console options with each commercial treadmill model, each featuring a different number of preset workout programs. Cybex has an online training program called Cybex Go. Some of its features are virtual workout environments and live high definition TV.
- High-Tech Electronics: Most commercial treadmills support digital entertainment. The magazine rack of yesteryear is often replaced with a bracket for securely holding a tablet computer. iPod-compatible consoles with jacks, chargers and speakers are common too. Also found on many Precors and other commercial treadmills are built-in Internet browsers, high definition TVs and integration with popular fitness apps. Some commercial fitness brands, like Cybex International, have their own online fitness platforms. Life Fitness and others also have wireless apps to assist owners with preventive maintenance.
- Wireless Heart Rate Receiver: The best commercial treadmills are compatible with trainees’ wireless chest straps for heart rate monitoring.
- High Quality Cushioning: Commercial treadmills absorb impact well to help reduce the risk of running-related joint pain. Many feature variable cushioning systems that provide relatively more firmness at the point of push-off than at landing.
- Custom Colors: To support your branding or home decor, Cybex and a few other brands offer cardio trainers with custom paint jobs.
- Size: Unlike some residential treadmills, commercial treadmills aren’t designed to be folded. See the dimensions listed in our product reviews and treadmill comparison charts for help making the most of your workout space.
Commercial treadmills are club-quality cardio trainers. They’re built to the standards for heavy use and are a nice treat for home gyms too. Ready to meet any user’s needs, the right commercial treadmill is an investment that pays off.
Let us help! For personalized help finding the best commercial treadmill, submit our contact form below: