A folding frame with hydraulic assist makes the Matrix TF30 easy to store between workouts. When folded the machine takes just 41″ x 36″ of floor space. But just like the top-of-the-line Matrix T70 (a non-folding treadmill), the TF30 has a top speed of 12.5 mph and can give training boosts with an up to 15 percent incline. Standard workout programs are built into each console, plus optional technology supports eight-week fitness plans and immersive around-the-world training with Virtual Active. Virtual Active videos adjust to the user’s workout pace for virtual training in the French Riviera, the Canadian Rockies and other scenic destinations. Three Virtual Active videos are included with the XER and XIR consoles. With the addition of a Passport Player, the sights and sounds can even be sent to a big-screen home TV. The Matrix consoles supporting this technology also have popular apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Hulu and YouTube.
All in all the Matrix TF30 is one of the best folding treadmills for anyone seeking a high quality indoor walk, and it’s also ideal for runners with smaller strides. Other choices in the Matrix home treadmill series are the folding TF50 and the non-folding T50 and T70.
What We Like:
- Track Length: The TF30 treadmill track size is ideal for walkers and people with no-so-long running strides. It measures 55″ long by 20″ wide. All other Matrix home treadmills have 60″ long tracks.
- Custom Consoles: Matrix home treadmills are sold with a choice of three consoles (XR, XER and XIR). Their displays are a 6″ touchscreen, a 10″ touchscreen and a 9.5″ classic screen with backlighting. Each has a different number of preset workouts plus ViaFit data tracking, and all can be used with Passport Media Players. All Matrix consoles have reading racks, wireless heart rate receivers and water bottle holders.
- Virtual Active: Take a vacation from ordinary training with Virtual Active videos. These let you virtually travel the world with authentic soundtracks and high definition views from the treadmill touch screen, or connect a Passport Media Player to show the programming on your big screen TV. Three Virtual Active programs are included with the XER and XIR consoles, and others can be purchased as well.
- Passport: The Matrix TF30 is Passport-ready. With a Passport Player (sold separately) it can connect to the viewer’s own TV screen for a larger view of Virtual Active interactive videos.
- Incline: Boost your metabolism and tone your muscles with help from an automated incline. The Matrix TF30 treadmill track can incline up to 15 percent. This feature is especially engaging when used with Virtual Active video workouts that respond to workout intensity.
- Speakers: Two of the three consoles for Matrix home treadmills have speakers. Connect your MP3s or use the speakers with built-in apps such as YouTube and Hulu.
- Cushioning: A 1″ patented Ultimate Deck provides a comfortable balance of firmness and impact absorption to prevent fatigue. This is the same deck used on higher treadmills in the series.
- Wireless Telemetry: Grip heart rate sensors are built into Matrix home treadmills. Additionally Matrix consoles support wireless heart rate monitoring. Wireless monitoring is more convenient and more accurate, especially at higher training speeds.
- Data Tracking: Automatically chart online your distance traveled, calories burned and other fitness progress. The time-saving ViaFit app is included with all Matrix home treadmills. ViaFit can sync with other devices and apps to track your non-treadmill fitness info too. Additionally with the XER and XIR consoles the TF30 can share data through MyFitnessPal.
- High Speed: This treadmill’s top speed is 12.5 mph, the industry standard for a runner’s treadmill.
- Motor: The 3.25 CHP motor is powerful enough for just about any trainee. With advanced technology, it recalibrates after every footfall to promote smooth training. Even so, a marathoner should move up to the Matrix T70 for a commercial duty motor.
- Transport Wheels: Four wheels are attached to Matrix folding treadmills.
- Folding: The Matrix TF30 Treadmill easily folds to reveal extra floor space in between workouts. The folded dimensions are 41.1″ long x 35.8″ wide. Unfolded, the machine’s footprint is 76.6″ long x 35.8″ wide.
- Warranty: This high quality machine has a home warranty with lifetime protection for the frame, motor and cushioning; five years for parts; and two years for labor. Each console is sold with a five-year warranty.
Matrix TF30 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 - 15%|
|Running Area:||20" x 55"|
|Top Speed:||12.5 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||76.6" L x 35.8" W x 71.9" H|
- Heavy: The TF30 is a folding treadmill and has transport wheels, but don’t expect easy portability. This unit weighs 282 pounds not including a console.
- Extra Cost: Passport-ready treadmills like the TF30 connect to home televisions through Passport Players, sold separately.
Matrix folding treadmills are among the market’s top options. The Matrix TF30 in particular is highly recommended to any walker and is ideal for runners who don’t need much space.
Consider stepping up to the Matrix TF50 if a longer track or higher weight capacity would suit your needs. Compared with the TF30 in this review, the TF50 has an even longer parts warranty too (seven years instead of five) so for little extra cost it’s an even better value.