Bowflex BXT116 Review
Meet the BXT116 Treadmill, an impressive fitness machine from Bowflex Results (BFX Results). Although discontinued, the unit remains on sale as a used model and at various online retailers. While its name isn’t so memorable, the BXT116 has a good looking full-color workout screen — and more importantly it has a remarkable resumé for the job of home cardio trainer. This treadmill is designed to meet or beat the physical prowess of its major competitors, plus it shows more finesse with fitness apps and workout data. It’s ideal for almost any dedicated trainee or an active family; up to four users can store profiles.
Examples of high-end essentials are a 3.75 CHP belt motor, a triple-layered running belt, and 2.75″ rollers. Just a sampling of special features includes a folding frame; a Burn Rate console with advanced calorie burn feedback; Bluetooth for data sharing; Dailyburn workouts; and a wireless heart rate monitor.
Without being too flashy this trainer catches and holds our interest. For walking or running… for one person or a busy household… the BXT116 looks like a best-in-class treadmill. When paired with a bargain price if found used, it’s certainly worth a look.
What We Like:
- Horsepower: Aiming for a best-in-class reputation the BX T116 powers its workout belt with a 3.75 CHP motor. This motor is strong enough for almost anyone’s treadmill running. For comparison, 3.0 to 3.5 CHP is the norm for durable home treadmills… and 4.0 HP is the usual for marathon treadmills. (For a 4.0 CHP motor see the BXT216.)
- Burn Rate Console: Making the most of your workout data is part of the Bowflex Results appeal. Exercising on the T116 you’ll get the usual feedback (time, speed, distance, heart rate, incline, total calories burned, and so forth) plus a per-minute calorie burn calculation for extra motivation. Seeing the immediate effect of your boosted effort, you’ll be encouraged to train harder for longer.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Bowflex Results treadmills are packaged with chest straps for convenient wireless heart rate monitoring. They’re also equipped with contact heart rate readers… but using the wireless system you can get the additional cardio benefit of heart rate controlled workouts.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth connectivity on the Burn Rate console makes it easy to log your fitness stats. The console computer can sync with the Bowflex Results mobile app and similar apps from other providers (e.g., FitBit and MyFitnessPal).
- Device Shelf & Charger: A shelf with USB charging port is included for a mobile device.
- Color Display: Workout programs are shown in full color on a 7.5″-wide screen.
- Preset Workouts: Nine training programs are built into the T116’s console. These offer good variety with exercise routines optimized for calorie burn, distance, heart rate control, interval training and other objectives.
- Dailyburn & Zwift Workouts: An 8-week Dailyburn workout video free trial is included with 2017 Bowflex Results gym equipment. You’ll also get access to virtual reality workouts from Zwift. Dailyburn and Zwift both provide workouts for any fitness level and for exercise on and off the treadmill.
- Belt: The 20″ wide x 60″ long workout area meets the standard for runners’ treadmills in 2017. Extraordinary though is the thickness of the tread belt. The belt is three-ply, and for comparison a home treadmill usually has a one-ply or two-ply belt. With its thick construction, the BXT116 workout belt isn’t prone to ripping like a cheap treadmill belt would. It’s also much less prone to stretching, so you won’t need to recalibrate your machine… And yet another advantage is quieter operation.
- Belt Rollers: Belt rollers are often overlooked in treadmill comparisons, but bigger rollers are a sign of higher quality. Nautilus equips Bowflex Results treadmills with 2.75″ diameter rollers, larger than what competitors often supply. These help extend the tread belt longevity and also minimize demand on the motor.
- Folding Frame: To help make the most of your living space, you can fold up the BX treadmill in between workouts. The deck can easily be pushed upward. When it’s released, it drops softly to the floor.
- Warranty: The Bowflex Results treadmill warranty is average with everything covered for 2 years.
Bowflex BXT116 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Incline:||0 - 15%|
|Running Area:||20" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||12 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||375 LBS|
|Dimensions:||84.6" L x 36.3" W x 55.2" H|
- New Series: Being the first to try a new fitness brand can be exciting. A small risk though is being the first to find a flaw.
See the Bowflex BXT116 Promotional Video
This treadmill has been discontinued, but remains available as a used model and at online retailers. It’s worth a look if found. After all, the manufacturer Nautilus and its classic Bowflex brand are very well established… and Nautilus clearly studied the competition when designing the BXT116. This treadmill is engineered to outpace current leaders in its class and help the whole treadmill industry take another step forward.
- A great model with lots of features.
- The model has been discontinued from production.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I consider a discontinued model?
Bowflex makes great machines and these older models are still good to go. They might be for sale online as a used model, or perhaps from a friend. Brands like Bowflex routinely make upgrades, so the fact that it's discontinued doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the unit.
Can I get a good workout on a used treadmill?
Absolutely! A lot depends on the condition of the machine.
What should I look for in a used treadmill?
Check to see if the warranty is still good. Also, check the overall condition and make sure it's clean. Walk a little on the tread belt to make sure it's still tight and thick.