Bowflex LateralX LX5 Review
Although discontinued, the Bowflex LateralX LX5 is a unique alternative to treadmills. Compared with standard treadmills it burns calories more quickly because it involves cross-training the whole body: push/pull for the upper body, plus standing/squatting and side-to-side motion for the lower body. Thirty workout videos are included with the free LateralX mobile app, and 10 training programs are built into the Bowflex LX5 console.
The “LateralX” series name hints at this new fitness machine’s features:
- Lateral refers to side-to-side motion. The LX5 has adjustable sideways range; you can set the width between pedals.
- X tells us that the machine’s a crosstrainer. Along with cardio exercise, you’ll get total-body strength training with a choice of 10 resistance levels.
The Bowflex LX5 was designed to leads its series, which included the Bowflex LX3. The LX3 is also an efficient cross-trainer, but it’s less versatile than the LX5 described in this review.
What We Like:
- Dynamic: Exercising on the LateralX LX5 doesn’t feel “routine” or dull. Workout sessions are engaging, especially with LateralX mobile app videos.
- Efficient: Stimulating all major muscle groups, the LX5 is more efficient than typical treadmills for calorie burn. It can also help you burn more calories compared with standard ellipticals if you follow the video guidance.
- Adjustable Lateral Motion: Only the Bowflex LX5 has adjustable lateral motion. (The cheaper LX3 has a fixed setting.) Adjustable settings help make the machine comfortable for a wide range of body sizes, plus they let each user trigger their lower-body muscles in multiple ways.
- Pedal Incline: LateralX fitness machines have 10 settings for pedal angle. This feature brings the same benefits as the lateral adjustability; it makes the machine ideal for more trainees, and it can enhance fitness results.
- Advanced Handlebars: On the Bowflex LX5, moving handlebars have curved grips to support four main workout positions. This lets you diversify exercise and also helps reduce the change of fatigue. For comparison the LX3 supports two upper-body workout positions, as do the best standard elliptical trainers.
- On-Board Workout Programs: Manual mode and nine diverse workout programs are built into the new Bowflex. Some programs focus on the lower body, some on the upper body, and some on total-body cross training.
- Video Workouts: The best LateralX training uses videos made just for the machine. You can access 30 workouts with the LateralX mobile app for iOS or Android. These videos fit together for a 12-week fitness plan that you can repeat at different challenge levels.
- Media Dock: This trainer has a tablet computer dock with charging port. If you don’t already own a tablet, then we recommend choosing the LX5 Performance Pack instead of the regular LX5 offer. The Performance Pack includes purchase and delivery of a Samsung tablet, the fitness machine and wireless heart rate monitor, and a protective floor mat.
- Large LCD: The LateralX data screen measures 7.5” diagonally, and it’s backlit for easy viewing. The LCD shows exercise statistics for your upper body, lower body and total workout session.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: A wireless heart rate transmitter is included with purchase of the LX5 fitness machine. (The LX3 is compatible with a wireless chest strap, but a strap is not included.) LateralX machines also have grip heart rate readers.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth supports data export and the integration of music from Bowflex Radio.
- Four User Profiles: Up to four people can save personalized settings for the most accurate data feedback, preferred screen brightness and more.
- Buy-Back Guarantee: As with all factory-direct Bowflex machines, the LX5 has a satisfaction guarantee. The manufacturer offers buy-back within six weeks of delivery.
Bowflex LateralX LX5 Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||63.2" L x 53.6" W x 46.6" H|
- Discontinued Model: Being discontinued, we’re not sure how well customer service will handle questions or calls.
- Assembly: Assembling this model isn’t exactly a breeze. Professional set-up costs $249.
The Bowflex LateralX LX5 is a highly efficient cross-trainer for the whole body. Workouts shown in the advertising video look intense, but remember that the LateralX can be used more gently too. Whatever resistance and workout intensity you choose, your workout will be kind to your joints while blasting calories, strengthening your whole body, and improving your ability to keep balance. Just three short sessions per week can bring impressive results… and if you disagree, you can take advantage of the buy-back guarantee.
Where to Buy
To get the best deal, click here for $300 off + $25 Shipping ($474 savings).