Built to meet serious runners’ high standards, the new LifeSpan TR5500i is a best buy folding treadmill for nearly any household. At $2,599 it’s a mid-priced model, yet in many ways it’s superior to plenty of pricier competitors. One factor that stands out to advanced runners is the track’s top speed potential of 13.5 mph, while most treadmills for runners have a 12 mph limit. Other perks that you’ll rarely see elsewhere are a built-in step counter or pedometer and a power decline; for incline training there are two downhill slope settings to intersperse with 13 uphill settings. The tread belt is ready to serve for thousands of miles with minimal maintenance. It’s extra-thick at 2.2 mm, and the running surface has extra width for a runner’s elbow room.
To simplify your session set-up the treadmill arrives with more than more than 50 preset workout programs. Prompts on the workout screen make it easy to choose from routines for weight loss, sports training, heart rate goals and more. A wireless heart rate receiver is included, though the chest strap is sold separately. You can keep track of all your workout data long-term with two choices for data export: a USB drive and a Bluetooth connection.
Console amenities include a three-speed fan, a tablet rack and smartphone-compatible speakers. Programming is shown on a 10″ full-color touchscreen with backlighting.
The standard warranty for the new TR5500i is lifetime coverage on the frame and motor. LifeSpan treadmills are sold with 30-day money back guarantee which is outstanding for a treadmill under $3,000. It includes five years on parts, two for labor, any money-back guarantees as well.
What We Like:
- Foldable: The TR5500i Treadmill has hydraulic shocks for easy folding. It only takes 40.5″ x 34.5″ of floor space when made compact. The machine is reasonably sized when unfolded too; it’s 73″ long.
- High Quality Track: The workout surface measures 22″ wide x 60″ long, so it can accommodate virtually anyone’s longest running strides. The belt is extra-thick at 2.2 mm, which helps make the treadmill operate quietly and require minimal maintenance.
- High Speed: Speed choices range from 0.5 to 13.5 mph. Five speed buttons give you quick control for specific settings.
- Shock Absorbers: Eight independent shock absorbers help the treadmill deck flex to protect your body from impact, so treadmill training compared with outdoor training is gentler on your joints and connective tissues.
- Strong Motor: The TR5500i has LifeSpan’s strongest home treadmill motor. This 4.0 CHP unit can run for long sessions without overheating and carries a lifetime warranty.
- Incline/Decline: A ramp with powerful motor (800 pounds of thrust) supports 15 angles of incline training. With two for decline and 13 for incline, you can train for real-life terrain from the comfort of your home workout room. Five speed settings are available as quick controls.
- Program Variety: The LifeSpan TR5500i Folding Treadmill has more than 50 workout programs. These are grouped into goal categories including weight loss, sports training, healthy living, heart rate and decline training. Two program slots are available for user-designed workouts too.
- Data Syncing: Exercise data can be exported to fitness apps with Bluetooth or transferred to fitness apps via a USB port.
- Audio: LifeSpan treadmills have smartphone compatible jacks and speakers.
- Tablet Holder: A ledge is built into the console so you can use your tablet computer or smartphone during workouts.
- Fan: The console cooling fan has three speeds for just-right climate control.
- Safety: LifeSpan treadmills have IntelliGuard for safety. This technology pauses the track after 20 seconds if you step away.
- High Weight Capacity: The user weight limit is 350 pounds.
- Excellent Warranty: Customers get lifetime protection on the frame and motor, a five-year parts warranty and two years for labor. Extended warranties are available too.
LifeSpan TR5500i Treadmill - Key Specs:
|Motor:||Continuous Duty DC HP|
|Incline:||-2 to 13%|
|Running Area:||22" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||13.5 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||350 LBS|
|Dimensions:||73" L x 34.5" W x 55.5" H|
- Display: The console display screen is data-rich, but the readout is strictly business. If you’re prone to getting bored when you run, then you’ll want to be sure you have a tablet computer or MP3 player to dock on the console.
- Heart Rate Monitor Sold Separately: This treadmill has a wireless heart rate receiver but the chest strap is sold separately.
The foldable TR5500i LifeSpan Treadmill is a very good option for the home with an avid runner or multiple treadmill users. It’s powerful enough to train a serious athlete, but it also has programming to support all ability levels and workout intensities.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I lubricate the LifeSpan TR5500i treadmill?
The first step in any treadmill maintenance is to shut the power off and unplug the unit from the power outlet. This should always be done to prevent accidents. Next, starting at the front end of the treadmill near the motor, slide a hand beneath the belt to separate it slightly from the deck. Slip the tube of lube as close the deck's center as possible, and then spread about half the bottle onto the underside of the belt. Repeat this process on the other side of the belt, before plugging the treadmill back into the power source, turning it on, and running it without a person on it for 3-5 minutes at 3 mph. This should spread out the lubricant evenly.
How often do I lubricate the LifeSpan TR5500i treadmill?
We recommend every 40 hours, or approximately once every three months.
What are the major differences between the LifeSpan TR5500i treadmill and LifeSpan TR4000i treadmill?
Right off the bat, the TR5500i has a 4.0 HP motor, as opposed to the 3.25 HP unit in the TR4000i. Also, the TR4000i features a 7" touchscreen while the TR5500i has a 10" screen. In terms of speed, the TR5500i tops out at 13.5 mph, while the TR4000i goes to 12 mph.
Is the LifeSpan TR5500i treadmill easy to assemble?
Yes, but it always help to have some friends assist. The assembly process shouldn't take more than an hour.