Why isn’t the True Z5.0 a runner’s treadmill? The track is very short – just 54″ long – and most people want or need more space to take a natural running stride. The upgrade to this compact treadmill, the True Z5.4, is wider but not longer. Treadmills in the True PS series have longer tracks.
What We Like:
- Heart Rate Control: Only six workouts are included, but one uses heart rate control. You can set your desired cardio challenge level and the treadmill will automatically adjust to keep you in the right zone! This is accomplished with the digital heart rate monitoring system.
- Compact Machine: If you need to conserve space, this might be a good choice. The footprint is just 68″L x 28″W (172 cm x 71 cm). Keep in mind though that some brands offer very sturdy folding treadmills. When you’re done exercising, you can fold the treadmill vertically to save floor space.
- Console: True Fitness consoles are easy to use and ergonomically designed. The Z5.0 has a small LCD with light blue display for exercise data. Buttons to the side let you adjust speed or incline at any time during a workout.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: To help you exercise efficiently, grip heart rate sensors are included and the True Z5.0 can also be used with wireless monitoring (chest strap sold separately).
- Power Incline: The motorized incline can be tilted up to 12%. Using a slight incline (1%) mimics the effects of outdoor track running, and steeper inclines bring dramatically fast results in terms of toning and calorie burn!
- Strong Motor: This treadmill’s quiet 3.0 HP motor supports speeds from .5 to 12 mph. (Again though, we really consider this a walker’s treadmill.) The motor has a 30-year warranty.
- High Capacity: The True Z5.0 weighs 260 pounds. It has a 400 pound capacity.
- Long Parts Warranty: The Z5.0 has a lifetime frame warranty and 30 year motor warranty. Parts and electronics are covered for ten years. In-home labor is covered for the first year. However, the warranty is voided if you use the machine without lubricating it.
- Transport Wheels: Front transport wheels help you move the Z5.0.
What We Don’t Like:
- Short Track: As noted in the intro to this review, the track is just 54” long. Standard treadmills have tracks of 58″ or 60″. It might be helpful to measure your gait before making a decision.
- Labor Warranty: The labor warranty of one year is rather short for this big investment. Also, you’ll be charged for the worker’s transportation if they need to travel more than 50 miles.
- Maintenance: You’ll be responsible for lubricating the track as needed, which would likely be every few months. If you don’t lubricate the track and something goes wrong, your warranty will be voided! Most treadmills in this price range are sold with self-maintaining tracks.
For some households the True Z5.0 Treadmill is just right. In particular, durability for the long haul (if you lubricate the track) is what makes this treadmill a very good buy.
The Z5.0 isn’t meant for intense training — the track is short and the incline isn’t so steep – but rather for those who want to walk their way to fitness. It’s also not the best treadmill for households with teenagers or others who care about integrating Internet, smartphone and TV with their fitness machine. If those sorts of treadmills interest you, check out the Best Buy picks page! They have shorter warranties but lots more appeal in many customer reviews.