XTERRA Fitness specializes in low-priced but not “cheap” fitness machines for home use. Often XTERRA treadmills are sale priced under $1000, yet they have better quality than models sold for twice as much. Wireless heart rate monitoring, automated incline and Bluetooth data sharing are among their perks. XTERRA Fitness manufactures its equipment with excellent quality control, and they back each factory-direct treadmill sale with free parts replacement and in-home repair.
Below we describe main parts and special features of the XTERRA treadmills for 2018: the TRX2500, TRX3500 and TRX4500. The entry-level TRX2500 is a good value for lighter exercise, and it sells for just $799 during promotions. The higher models are equipped for all workout intensities. All three XTERRA treadmills have foldable frames to help owners conserve floor space.
XTERRA’s parent company is Dyaco International. Dyaco is well-established, dating back to 1989, and focuses exclusively on residential and commercial fitness products. Another Dyaco brand is Sole Fitness. Compared with XTERRA treadmills, Sole treadmills are similar but generally more robust and higher priced. The XTERRA brand is a top recommendation for shoppers with budgets under $1,000.
What We Like:
- Low Sale Prices: XTERRA treadmills have low sale prices for their quality. While full prices are a bit high, these machines are top values when discounted about 50 percent… and XTERRA offers such discounts on a regular basis.
- Folding Frames: To help you maximize living space, XTERRA treadmills have foldable frames. Between workouts you can get extra floor space by storing the exercise deck upright. Folding an XTERRA treadmill is easy; hydraulics move the deck after you give a push.
- Attractive Designs: The new XTERRA treadmills look very similar to each other, and in our review they’re good-looking fitness machines. Customer reviews of XTERRA treadmills also state that the machines look even better than expected; online pictures don’t convey their quality. We like how XTERRA treadmill frames have a brushed silver or nickel color instead of being all basic black. The top-of-the-line XTERRA TRX4500 looks especially high quality with its aluminum rails.
- Ample Workout Space: Other discount treadmills skimp on track size, but XTERRA treadmills meet the standard track dimensions for residential models. The TRX2500 has a 55” x 20” workout area (adequate for most walkers) and the higher models have 60” x 20” tracks to accommodate long running strides.
- Two-Ply Exercise Belts: The thickness of a treadmill workout belt can influence the machine’s noise level and longevity. XTERRA tread belts are thick enough to support quiet machine operation, and they aren’t prone to ripping like those of ultra-cheap treadmills. Still, you’ll need to lubricate an XTERRA tread belt about every 180 miles to help it run smoothly.
- Guaranteed Motors: All XTERRA belt motors for 2018 have lifetime warranties. They can serve well if not pushed to their limits. While the entry-level XTERRA treadmill has a rather light-duty motor, the TRX3500 and TRX4500 have 3.0 and 3.25 HP drives. We’d only recommend investing in a treadmill with more horsepower (such as 4.0 HP) if you’re an especially dedicated runner and/or approaching the user weight limit of 300 or 350 pounds.
- Power Incline: Each XTERRA treadmill for 2018 has power incline. Depending on the model the maximum setting is 10, 12 or 15 percent.
- Convenient Controls: Each XTERRA treadmill console provides quick controls for speed and incline; you can quickly alternate among settings. You can also make speed/incline adjustments with controls on the handlebars.
- Adjustable Cushioning: A switch on each XTERRA treadmill deck lets you choose between two firmness settings.
- Built-In Workout Programs: Lots of exercise guidance helps XTERRA treadmills earn great reviews. Each console holds a wide variety of workout programs, including one with heart rate control, and also lets users save customized routines. The TRX3500 and TRX4500 support two user profiles each.
- Heart Rate Monitoring: All three XTERRA treadmills are compatible with chest straps for wireless heart rate monitoring. A chest strap is included in the TRX4500 Treadmill sale price. Additionally each machine has contact pulse sensors built into its crossbar.
- Bluetooth Data Sharing: A Bluetooth connection for sharing workout statistics with a mobile app is provided on the new TRX3500 and TRX4500. The treadmill consoles can sync with Android and iOS devices running a free XTERRA Fitness app. The XTERRA Fitness app is compatible with FitBit and other fitness tracking apps for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- MP3 Speakers: Each new XTERRA has a smartphone-compatible MP3 player jack and stereo speakers.
- Extras: A cooling fan and water bottle holders are built into each console.
- Guarantee: Factory-direct XTERRA cardio trainers have 60-day money back guarantees.
- Competitive Warranties: Especially impressive is the warranty for the TRX4500 Treadmill. The warranty provides lifetime coverage for the frame and belt motor, five years on the deck suspension, two years on parts, and a year of in-home labor.
What We Don’t Like:
- Maintenance Required: XTERRA treadmills are good values, but you’ll need to spend more for a virtually maintenance-free treadmill. Typical home maintenance for these machines includes track lubrication every 180 miles and occasional tightening of the belt. Each procedure is quick and easy, and the directions are clear in the user manual. XTERRA ships a bottle of belt lubricant with each machine.
- Delivery Time: XTERRA only schedules treadmill deliveries for weekdays. Like most companies that deliver big equipment, they have four-hour delivery windows.
XTERRA Fitness is a top recommendation for shoppers seeking low-priced but not “cheap” or boring fitness machines. The top-of-the-line TR4500 is an especially good value for shoppers with $999 to invest in fitness. Meanwhile the entry level TRX2500 is a much lighter duty cardio trainer… but for $799 sale price, it’s also a best buy. Our reviews for individual XTERRA treadmill models highlight pros and cons to consider.
The Xterra Fitness treadmill line is all on sale right now.See best price »