On the hunt for a treadmills that stands the test of time? Perhaps you’re outfitting a fitness room for a membership gym, a hotel, or a university? Or maybe you’re just treating yourself to an home gym and want the same high quality cardio equipment that you’re used to for health clubs? Regardless, you’ve come to the right place! Our experts have reviewed all of the top commercial treadmills on the market to help you find the best treadmill to suit your needs.
How Commercial Treadmills Stand Out
Commercial treadmills carry commercial warranties and are built to please in high-demand settings such as health clubs, hotel fitness rooms and physical therapy clinics. They’re also the cardio trainers of choice for luxury home gyms. Advantages of commercial treadmills over residential treadmills include low maintenance designs, premium components, and consistently trouble-free electronics. These treadmills also tend to carry very long parts warranties if reserved for home use. The only possible drawbacks are frame size and price, although you’ll find wide ranges in both cases.
Shopping the Smart Way
Careful shoppers should always research treadmill reviews to understand the key attributes of any machine they are considering. To help you out, our commercial treadmill reviews focus on specific models from Precor, Landice, Life Fitness and other leading commercial brands. Below you’ll find a guide to buying a commercial treadmill. Learn what to expect of a commercial treadmill’s motor, track, workout programs, and other specs.
If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, feel free to reach out and ask us a question.
Commercial Treadmill Category Guides
So many treadmills compete for any commercial buyers’ attention. To save time, it’s a good idea to your search to equipment intended for a specific type of setting. For example, there’s no need to scroll through info about medical treadmills if you’re stocking a college rec center. Here are links to planning guides for specific types of commercial gyms. Each guide provides tips about what to look for in setting-specific treadmills as well as other cardio trainers and strength training equipment.
- Community Centers (YMCAs, JCCs, etc.)
- Colleges and Universities
- Government (Military and others with GSA Contracts)
- Fire Departments & Law Enforcement
- Health Care (Hospitals, Physical Therapy Clinics, etc.)
- Health Clubs
- Hospitality (Hotels, Resorts and Spas)
- Multi-Family Housing (Apartments, Condos, etc.)
Commercial Treadmill Buying Guide
- Price: The approximate price range for commercial treadmills is $3,500 to $10,000. Unlike residential treadmills, commercial treadmills aren’t always advertised with their prices and if a price is shown, it isn’t necessarily the manufacturer’s best possible offer. More often than not, you can negotiate the price (especially if you are buying in bulk).
- Durability: Commercial treadmills are heavy duty and are generally expected to be used in excess of 5 hours per day, 7 days a week. Typically the machines can support trainees weighing 400-pounds or more. Some factors contributing to durability include a welded steel frame, a thick tread track, and a powerful motor that is also quiet. In contrast, residential treadmills often have plastic frame elements, weaker motors, and a one-ply tread tracks.
- Spacious Track: Commercial treadmills have a long tracks to ensure that even the tallest trainees can safely take running strides. 60″ is a typical length, with most commercial treadmill tracks measuring between 58″ and 62″ long. The standard track width is 20″ but can stretch as wide as 22″.
- Power Incline: Many treadmills have automated incline (or incline/decline). The typical maximum incline ranges between 10% to 15%.
- High Quality Motor: Commercial treadmill motors operate quietly without skipping. Power ratings are typically 4.0 CHP to 5.0 CHP. For comparison, residential treadmills range from about 2.25 to 4.0 CHP.
- Workout Programming: Workout programming on commercial treadmills ranges from limited (six to 10 programs on the low end) to unlimited (available through subscription services). Most can be accessed in multiple languages (Precor treadmill programs show feedback in ten international languages). Landice stands out for offering four console options with each commercial treadmill model, with a different number of preset workout programs in every language. Cybex has an online training program called Cybex Go. Some of its features include virtual workout environments and live high definition TV.
- High-Tech Electronics: Most commercial treadmills support digital entertainment. The magazine rack of yesteryear is often replaced with a bracket for securely holding a tablet computer. iPod-compatible consoles with jacks, chargers, and speakers are common as well. Many commercial treadmills also feature built-in Internet browsers, high definition TVs, and integration with popular fitness apps. Some commercial fitness brands, like Cybex International, have their own online fitness platforms. Life Fitness and others also offer wireless apps to assist owners with preventive maintenance.
- Wireless Heart Rate Receiver: The best commercial treadmills are compatible with trainees’ wireless chest straps for heart rate monitoring.
- High Quality Cushioning: Commercial treadmills absorb impact well to help reduce the risk of running-related joint pain. Many feature variable cushioning systems that provide relatively more firmness at the point of push-off than at landing.
- Custom Colors: To support your branding or home decor, Cybex and a few other brands offer cardio trainers with custom paint jobs.
- Size: Unlike some residential treadmills, commercial treadmills aren’t designed to be folded. See the dimensions listed in our product reviews and treadmill comparison charts for help making the most of your workout space.
Commercial treadmills are club-quality cardio trainers. They’re built to the standards for heavy use and are a nice treat for home gyms too. Ready to meet any user’s needs, the right commercial treadmill is an investment that will pay off for years to come.
To learn about a specific product read our club buying FAQ page as well as our in-depth reviews starting with the specific brands and also be sure to check out our picks for the top commercial treadmills.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Let us help! For personalized help finding the best commercial treadmill, submit our contact form below: