While browsing online for a home treadmill, it’s hard to miss the SMART Pro 9000 by ProForm Fitness. The Pro 9000 mixes a high-capacity motor (4.0 CHP) with one of the flashiest displays you’ll see on a treadmill: a 10″ wide high-definition touchscreen that not only shows preset workout programs, but also supports the interactive training experience taking the fitness industry by storm. With one big, beautiful, screen you can monitor your fitness progress. Some other highlights of the new ProForm Pro 9000 are a foldable frame, an electronic incline with range from -3 percent to 15 percent, and 3″ built-in speakers.
The Pro 9000 treadmill is meant to satisfy serious runners and it’s also a good option for households with several trainees. To support heavy training this machine is equipped with the same Mach Z Commercial Plus motor that powered the popular ProForm Boston Series treadmills, which were especially designed for marathon training.
If your cardio training needs aren’t heavy-duty, you could be happy with a cheaper alternative that has a smaller motor, such as the Pro 2000.
Full price for the new Pro 9000 treadmill is $1,999 but you can expect to find discounts during some online sales.
What We Like:
- Motor: The ProForm Pro 9000 treadmill is powered by a high quality 4.0 CHP Mach Z Commercial Plus Motor that can handle long runs, interval training and heavy use in general.
- Large Track: The SMART Pro 9000 workout surface measures 20″ wide and 60″ long, so it’s a bit more spacious than the standard treadmill track for runners. Just about everyone can get enough elbow room and take long running strides.
- Incline and Decline: Compared with standard treadmills, treadmills with inclines and declines can help you to get fit faster and prepare for outdoor workouts. Pro Series treadmills have maximum 3% decline and maximum 15% incline with electronic controls.
- Cushioning: Pro Series treadmill decks use ProShox cushioning to help make exercise safer and more comfortable than running on concrete or asphalt. Cushioning on the Pro 9000 reduces impact by up to 28%. This cushioning system is air based: when you step down an air chamber in the deck compresses to reduce impact.
- iFit Coach Ready: Purchase of the machine comes with a one-year iFit Family Membership. The Pro 9000 treadmill can run iFit Coach on its 10″ screen using your home’s wireless Internet connection. The most widely advertised benefit is virtual outdoor training. Using Google Maps technology, you can draw a real world route and then experience its highs and lows with help from the treadmill’s automated ramp. When Google Street Views are available, they can show on your monitor. Some other benefits of iFit Coach are wireless stats logging, an HD video library for exercising with celebrity personal trainers, and the option to download a new and personalized workout every day.
- Foldable: A SpaceSaver treadmill, the Pro 9000 can easily be folded for storage. Shock-assist helps you move the deck into a vertical position to save floor space, and the deck gently drops back to the floor when unlocked for the next session.
- Heart Rate Monitors: The Pro 9000 Treadmill is sold with two heart rate monitoring systems. You can choose wireless telemetry (a chest strap is included) or use grips on the handlebars.
- Audio: Music is an ideal companion for exercise, so the Pro 9000 has 3″ speakers to let you move to your music.
- Warranty: The Pro 9000’s warranty includes 10 years of coverage on the frame, 2 years on the parts, and 1 year on labor.
ProForm SMART Pro 9000 Treadmill - Key Specs:
What We Don’t Like:
|Incline:||-3 to 15%|
|Running Area:||22" x 60"|
|Top Speed:||12 MPH|
|Weight Capacity:||300 LBS|
|Dimensions:||77" L x 39" W x 70" H|
- Quality Control: Quality control seems to be inconsistent and due to the high volume of machines they produce, replacement parts aren’t always readily available. A minority of customers wind up very grouchy when their machine breaks down and they have to wait quite a while for ProForm to fix it.
- Return Policy: ProForm gym equipment is sold with money-back guarantees, but customers could be responsible for return shipping expenses and may be charged a 10 percent restocking fee.
See ProForm’s Promotional Video of the PRO 9000
The SMART Pro 9000 is an outstanding package for anyone from the average runner all the way up to the elite marathoner. We like that this machine comes equipped with iFit compatibility but doesn’t require a subscription. If you want a little more treadmill than the average, but don’t want to pay big ticket commercial fitness equipment prices, look no further than the Pro Form Pro 9000.