This treadmill has a low MSRP and sometimes sells new for less than $800. The parts warranty is only for two years. That is rather short, but you might think it’s fine for a discount treadmill.
Note that using iFit Live is central to exercising with the H79t. Unlike the more expensive HealthRider H110t and H190t, this discount treadmill doesn’t have built-in workout apps.
What We Like:
- iFit Workouts: iFit Live is technology that connects your treadmill with the Internet. It relies on your household wireless connection, so keep this in mind when deciding where to set the machine. iFit Live lets you download customized workouts, virtually run along Google Maps routes, compete in treadmill races against Facebook friends, and more. These are the only workouts included on the machine; it isn’t like a traditional treadmill that has built-in apps for Rolling Hills, Interval Training and so forth. Every day though, you’ll receive a customized fitness routine.
- 6″ Screen: This isn’t a luxury treadmill screen but it gets the job done. A 6″ LED shows your speed, time, distance, pulse and calories burned. The screen is designed to be easily read from different angles. It will be easy to read whether you’re small or tall.
- Automatic Incline: Burn calories faster than ever! Incline training is a great way to boost your metabolic rate and develop great muscle tone. The HealthRider H79t Treadmill has a maximum 12% incline that you can control with a convenient button. The track will also rise and fall to mimic terrain that you chart with a Google Maps app.
- Long Track for Walkers: This treadmill has a 20″ wide x 56″ long track. It is spacious enough for any walker to take full strides. It’s also long enough for shorter people to use for running. (If you need a longer track, see the H110t or H190t)
- Adjustable Cushioning: FlexStrideMAX is used on the H79t and other HealthRider treadmills. You can adjust the cushioning level to get that just-right comfort level. Proper cushioning reduces the risk of injury and can promote endurance, helping you get fit even faster.
- Motor: This unit has a 2.5 CHP Endura motor. It isn’t commercial quality, but it has a lifetime warranty for residential use. 2.5 CHP is stronger than the 2.5 HP marked on other motor brands. It’s ample power for walking, jogging and not-too-long running sessions.
- High Speed: The H79t Treadmill has a maximum speed of 12 mph. Speed and incline are adjustable with conveniently-placed console buttons.
- Sound System: The H79t has 2″ speakers by Intermix Acoustics. You can stream your music using the USB power port for smartphones and other MP3 players.
- Capacity: The maximum user weight is 325 pounds (147 kilograms).
- Folding: Free up some floor space when the treadmill’s not in use. In one step, you can easily fold the track upward with Easy Lift Assist.
What We Don’t Like:
This treadmill has lots of selling points, but it’s low-priced for some good reasons. It’s a noticeable step down from the next HealthRider treadmill, the H95t. Here are some criticisms.
- No Built-In Workout Apps: Owners of the HealthRider H79t rely on iFit for workouts. With most other treadmills, lots of apps are built into the console.
- No Heart Rate Monitoring: Monitoring your heart rate is an easy way to track one aspect of your fitness progress. Also, you can make the most of exercise time by exercising at a certain exertion level. Most other treadmills make this easier by including wireless monitoring or a cheaper grip system.
- Console Extras: This treadmill doesn’t have the extras found on health club fitness machines, such as a bottle holder, an accessory shelf or a workout fan.
- Warranty: Lifetime coverage is given for the frame and motor. Parts are protected for just two years. Labor is free for the first year.
The HealthRider H79t Treadmill is best for walkers, not runners, because of its drive size and track length. It has several appealing features but is also missing some popular elements. Overall this is an OK-quality discount treadmill with some nice perks. Customers should carefully compare its features with those of other treadmills. The H79t has a low sale price and can be expected to last for at least a couple of years.